Island Games Gotland 2017
The 2017 Island Games will be in Gotland.
As usual the squad will be selected by the Island Games Coach and Manager with their selection ratified by the Chairman or representatives of Seaclose Swimming Club and West Wight Swimming Club.
The following criteria must be achieved before being considered to train, in the squad, for the Island Games Gotland 2017. From this squad the team will be selected to represent the Isle of Wight.
- The agreement of your coach and club , to allow you to be considered to train for and possibly compete for the Games
- Attend at least 10 hours regular weekly training, in the pool. This must be maintained to be considered for the Games.
- Achieve at least one of the training times as set from 1st September 2016
- Attitude and effort:
– Consistently follow training schedules in their entirety.
– Demonstrate an excellent attitude to training and competitions.
– Demonstrate positive behaviour and team spirit, of a very high standard in training and competition.
As the swimmers may have the opportunity to represent the Isle of Wight at this international event, it is vital that they act appropriately, at all times. Manners, attitude, behaviour and team spirit, must be demonstrated at all training sessions and when representing clubs at galas.
Decisions in relation to swimmers in the Island Games squad, asked not to attend training until their commitment and/or attitude has reached an acceptable level will be taken by Island Games Manager, Island Games Coach, selected members(usually chairperson) of West Wight and Seaclose swimming club and the swimmer’s Head Coach.
A.S.A guidelines state that swimmers 16 years + should be training 16-24 hours per week, in water plus gym work.
The Island Games is an international competition and as such you are expected to be at your very best when you compete over four days. This will only be achieved by total dedication, hard work and determination over a long period of time.
Consideration times can be downloaded here.
Please note the closing date for consideration times to be achieved is
February 12th 2017.